11 Dec 2015
Here are some examples of what you can encourage your child to do at home to reinforce the values that are taught in schools.
In primary schools, your child is introduced to the six key values of Respect, Responsibility, Resilience, Integrity, Care and Harmony, and is encouraged to live by these values in his/her actions. Here are some examples of things that you can encourage your child to do at home to reinforce the values that are taught in schools.
|Values ||In school, students |
are taught to:
|At home, you can reinforce what is taught in school by encouraging your child to: |
|Respect || |
- Greet the school’s staff when they meet them.
- Greet parents and family members in the morning.
|Responsibility || |
- Keep their study area clean and tidy.
- Keep his/her study area and bedroom clean and tidy e.g. encouraging your child to make his/her own bed.
- Return the used utensils after finishing their meals during recess.
- Clean up the dining table after a meal e.g. return the used utensils to the kitchen sink and for the older children, they could learn how to wash the utensils.
|Resilience || |
- Try again and not give up when they experience difficulties or failures.
- Keep on trying and not give up when he/she experiences difficulties or failures. During this time, keep on letting your child know about any improvement he/she has made, no matter how small it is.
- Manage his/her own emotion when things do not go his/her way, and find a positive way to look at the situation.
|Integrity || |
- Be honest at all times such as to return items that they have found to the rightful owner.
- Be honest at all times even when nobody is looking and introduce him/her to good examples of honest behaviour.
|Care || |
- Help their classmates e.g. buddy reading, recess buddy
- Help out with some of the household chores at home.
|Harmony || |
- Understand their classmates better and learn how to get along well with others.
- Make friends with neighbours and other children they meet in the neighbourhood e.g. at the playground.
- Accept others who do thing differently and see what can be learn from them.